Thursday, December 4, 2008

Jaws Theme Swimming, again!

Yea i noe, not again..but seriously its like a jigsaw puzzle for me..trying to figure out the meaning from the lyrics..its such a cool song..haha..did some research of course..d meaning of the song seems rather dark..but yea..also wondered y call it jaws theme swimming? so here is an interpretation (originally i used the word analysis..haha, too much psych) from another guy which i kinda agree with..


"Ok. Well first off I love this song.. but who doesn't?

I seem to find my lyrical interpretations a bit darker though.

As with most of the songs on this album, i see this song as a vignette. it tells me a story of a predatory stranger possibly abducting a little girl. him leaving tobacco, peppermints and fingerprints in the car as in a crime scene. her, "sucking on your breath mint, dissected and stuck with pins" (killed probably), and of course the smoke (from his tobacco) at the playground and its cold outside, these also set the tone.

And then from the mothers point of view (as if to her daughter) "if youre leaving just let me know" and "if your coming home just let me know". of course she leaves without letting her mother know. ("some rules are made with all intentions to break") hence the mother frantically searching the playground in the pouring rain "concrete and water".

then later in the song, the mother taking the daughters picture off the wall and out of its frame, overcome by the grief of this tragedy takes her life by jumping out the window."


This is just what I got from it when I listened to it.
here is the link http://artists.letssingit.com/brand-new/jaws-theme-swimming/vdvx3mb/reviews/2

Here is the lyrics again..

In a car outside,
we stalk the idle kind.
"If you're leaving, just let me know."
Tobacco and peppermint,
dusting for fingerprints.
A film in her eyes from the glow.
Some rules are made
with all intentions to break,
And she defends it
with a warped rationale.
But I've seen what happens
to the wicked and proud,
When they decide to try
to take on the throne for the crown.

And we learn as we age.
We've learned nothing
and my body still aches.
And you take cause they give.
Though I love you
and my body it leaks like a sieve.

When it got cold outside,
smoke beneath the playground lights.
If you're coming home,
just let me know.
Sucking on your breath mint,
dissected and stuck with pins.
A film in her eyes from the glow.
Concrete and water,
she's looking for her daughter,
At midnight in torrential downpour.
And everything I said
about how messed your head is,
Got cut up and left
in bits and pieces on the cutting room floor.

And we learn as we age.
We've learned nothing
and my body still aches.
And you take cause they give.
Though I love you
and my body it leaks like a sieve.

Take the picture from the wall
cause you think that nothing matters.
Take a picture from the plane
and it's a long way to the floor.
Cut your finger on the edge
cause it's sharper than they told you.
Take a leap from out the window
cause it's way too far
to go through the door.

And we learn as we age.
We've learned nothing
and my body still aches.
And you take cause they give.
Though I love you
and my body it leaks like a sieve

So yea, my interpretation is that it is not a little girl, but more of a teenage girl, that kinda explains the rebellion and the need to break rules..n yea think it is a girl, cuz it says daughter.. so yea, y the title? well, to me d jaws theme is supposed to be like, suspenseful and scary rite? n swimming is movement, in a sense means practicality, so it kinda says that scary stuff that happens in real life..so yea i guess it is a warning to everyone..anyway, d chorus i feel is about how we age and yes, do stupid things, even our parents who are older but fail to impart the information to us..so we try the same things over and over again till our body aches..k, at first i thought the lyrics was from the daughter, cuz of the last line, where she is saying that even though she loves her mother, she is not able to retain what she has learnt, but the beginning part of the chorus didnt really connect, esp the "and you take, cause they give"..but yea, i guess wat it means is that the mother is comparing herself to a sieve (a strainer to those who dont not wat a sieve is) and i guess saying how she is crying for her daughter..

Other than that, i pretty much agree with wat the other guy said..really cool song..we should do this in psych class la..haha..

Cheers..

1 comment:

panzeyman said...

the guy is talking abt his young crush that seems to be rebellious n makes mistakes. funny enough instead of preventing her, he's letting her go ahead to learn the hard way.